The Great Mississippi Divide: McDaniel Republicans vs. Cochran Republicans

Whose side are you on?

By Ryan S. Walters

Like it or not there is, at present, a civil war inside the Republican Party. It is a battle over the soul of the party, over its ideology, and over which direction the party will take in the future. One side is very conservative, the ideological children of Jefferson, who seek to reform government from top to bottom, while the others, the establishment, want to maintain the status quo with a more moderate to liberal approach.

The split has always been there, going back to the days of Lincoln and TR. But it’s probably more prominent now than at any time since Teddy’s Bull Moose progressive insurgency. Now, though, the insurgents are the conservatives, or true conservatives to be more precise.

In Mississippi the divide was exposed for all to see during the Senate race between Chris McDaniel and Thad Cochran. On one side we have true conservatives, labeled McDaniel Republicans, or the McGOP. The new brand, though, has been the object of scorn and ridicule from the establishment – party bigwigs and their cohorts in the media.mcdaniel republican

Y’all Politics contributor Frank Corder, who has accused McDaniel of “peddling division and false hope,” has written that McDaniel Republicans believe that they alone are the “true conservatives who hold fast to Reagan and the Constitution.” And to this I say, yes we do, and proudly so. Even though he was writing in a mocking tone, it was probably the most honest statement from Corder’s pen in years, though unintended I’m sure.

Is the statement not true? Thad Cochran certainly doesn’t hold fast to either one and never has. His side, the Cochran Republicans, plays lip service to conservatism, the Constitution, and especially to Reagan but have no intention of supporting policies that uphold these beliefs. Cochran, we should recall, did not support the insurgent Reagan in 1976, but the hapless Ford, which gave us Carter.

But this division is not limited to Mississippi. It also exists in other states, though perhaps not as wide. In Kentucky, for example, there are Paul Republicans and McConnell Republicans. There are Cruz Republicans in Texas, Lee Republicans in Utah, and so on.

So what are the differences between the two Mississippi camps? They are legion, I’m afraid.

McDaniel Republicans believe in true Jeffersonian conservatism and can trace their ideological heritage back to the formation of Jefferson’s insurgency in the early 1790s. In my book, The Last Jeffersonian, I defined these principles this way: limited government, federalism, economy and accountability, sound money, low taxes and tariffs, fair trade, no national debt, strict construction of the Constitution, protection of civil liberties, a strong national defense, and a non-interventionist foreign policy. How else could you describe conservatism?

Cochran Republicans, representing the establishment, call themselves conservatives but are nothing of the sort. It is a bit harder to pin down their ideological beliefs because they really don’t seem to have any, flirting as they did with Democrats in the June 24 runoff. Perhaps if Mr. Cochran had debated Senator McDaniel, rather than run after liberal votes, we might know more about what his real views are but instead he stayed scarce. That, though, was the plan. To be fair, if I had his voting record I would not want to showcase it in front of the whole state either.

So how can we define a Cochran Republican? They are the opposite of McDaniel Republicans. In short, they capitulate to the notion of Big Government. They do not believe in limited government, as Cochran’s record can attest. They have not Cochran Debtprotected our federal system from abuse, as Cochran’s string-attached earmarks demonstrate. How about economy and accountability? Ha! Sound money? Yeah right! Any of the rest? It’s laughable to think they hold fast to any of these principles. In 42 years, no big ideas ever came from Thad Cochran, only big spending.

We, the true conservatives of Mississippi, do stand for these values but are ridiculed for it by those in the establishment who want to fool us into believing they are the ones who should rightfully run the government, their record of service being so stellar. To this is say, we gave you a chance and you blew it. Republicans had control of the government under George W. Bush for six years and all we got was more government and no meaningful reforms. Excuse us for not trusting you again.

And here we are, in the fall of 2014, in the midst of a very important midterm election, where the hope is to take back the US Senate from Harry Reid and the Democrats, and hopefully stop Obama in his last two years in the White House. But instead of having good, solid conservative candidates like Chris McDaniel, Matt Bevin, and the like, we must do so with establishment choices, or Democrat Lite.

Now the fall campaign is in full swing. Establishment candidates are traveling their states and districts (all except Cochran, of course) and debating their opponents (again, except Ole Thad). The RNC is busy trying to raise money and buy media ads.

GOPe-failBut, even with the establishment’s chosen candidates, what has been the message thus far? What does the party stand for? All we are hearing is how we must re-take the Senate. If that is the overall goal, then what’s the plan after doing so? Does anyone know?

The answer is no. Entering October the Republican Party has no platform for the future. There is no plan of action, no list of reforms, no catchy slogans. The party even seems to have abandoned the plan of repealing Obamacare, and is still promising to pass amnesty. I guess their slogan, if we can give them one, would be: “Vote for us, at least we are not completely like the Democrats.” How inspiring!

With a program like this, why should we care if we re-take the Senate or not? If the GOP is not going to do anything with it, or if they fall back on old habits and follow a Democratic-Lite strategy just like they did the last time, what’s the point?

As true conservatives, we believe in fighting for principles, not waving the white flag of surrender.  Geoff Pender, in the Clarion Ledger, recently said we were throwing a temper tantrum. Ridicule us all you want, but at least McDaniel Republicans, Cruz Republicans, Paul Republicans, and Lee Republicans actually do stand for something. And it’s these insurgents who are crafting bold agendas and big ideas.

It was Mike Lee who proposed specific cuts in the federal budget (that Thad voted against) and a strong balanced budget amendment that was not a budgetary gimmick (that Thad also opposes). It was Rand Paul who stood up for civil liberties and against unauthorized wars, as well as a plan to slash $500 billion from the federal budget (with no support from Thad). It was Ted Cruz who stood courageously on the Senate floor in a bold effort to defund Obamacare (when Thad was nowhere to be found).

It’s McDaniel Republicans who are standing against Common Core; Cochran Republicans support it. It’s McDaniel Republicans who are fighting to defend the border and against amnesty; Cochran Republicans seek open borders and cheap labor. It’s McDaniel Republicans who are seeking to audit the Fed and save the dollar; Cochran Republicans recoil at the notion. It’s McDaniel Republicans who seek to end the IRS and it’s abuses; Cochran Republicans like it just the way it is. It’s McDaniel Republicans who want to restrain the growing powers of the president; Cochran Republicans want a strong, unaccountable executive, at least when a Republican is in office. The list could go on ad infinitum.

And what has been the response from Establishment (i.e. Cochran) Republicans? More scorn and ridicule. They want no meaningful changes, no reforms, only a new opportunity to manage the federal mess themselves, not to clean it up. This is the sum total of the whole divide. We seek change for the better; they don’t.

Folks, it’s time to choose sides, whether you are in Mississippi, Texas, Kentucky, Utah, or in any other state. It’s time for new leadership in the Republican Party. It’s time to separate the wheat from the chaff. We will only get this country moving again with true conservative principles, those emanating from McDaniel Republicans, which have worked time and again whenever they have been enacted, whether by Jefferson, Cleveland, Coolidge, or Reagan. As Mark Levin said recently, we must nominate a conservative for President in 2016, the first since Reagan.  The Cochrans of the GOP have had their chance and do not deserve another crack at leadership. Looking ahead, the future of the country, and our state, depends on our choice.

Comments

1. William Smith says:
  2. Well, the republican establishment have been exposed for what they are and what they desire. The Mississippi senate race definitely showed what the establishment is willing to do to retain power. Their intentions, take control of the senate and have good olé Thad chairman of the appropriations committee, which means they have the keys to the vault. Unfortunately there is nothing in the vault, remember we are 18 trillion in debt. However this would give them access to the printing machine. This gets pretty simple, follow the money or at least access to it. Money and power and making sure that the hierarchy of the establishment and their relatives get their rewards for blindsiding the people of Mississippi and the nation. Think about it, especially come November.

3. Hey Ryan:
    Excellent article! My only objection unfortunately is that The Anointed One is simply not emotionally equipped for the task. The very skills and personality traits that make him such a capable trial attorney, work against him when it comes to working with a large legislative body. But as to your thoughts on conservatism and the need to elect a Reagan-like President for the present generation, you are spot on. Conservatism is about conserving the liberal political institutions to which you make reference.
    Pappy

4. William Smith says:

It seems to me that what the “true” or “McDaniel” or whatever descriptive adjective you prefer, conservative thinks of as Reagan sort of nominee is not the Reagan of history or practice. Reagan would have been on the phone with McD telling him to cut it out. He would have been in KY, MS, KS, etc campaigning for the sitting senators. He would have favored working toward solutions with the Republican caucus over the “cut it off at the root” approach. That is, if we can judge be what Reagan actually did when he had the power to do something.

5. William Smith says:

Reagan after a hard fought and sometimes bitter campaign for and a very disappointing loss of the 1976 Republican nomination cut this commercial for President Ford. Notice the difference between Reagan and McDaniel:

6. Cut out trying to root-out corruption? Is that what you think McDaniel supporters need to do? Reagan would never tell anyone to stop doing that! You and Pappy are just out of sync with what is actually happening. No deep offense but honestly you sound like paid mouth pieces for Barbour and his Gestapo! Please listen….that Run Off was corrupt… as in illegal! What will it take for the 187,000 voters who understand the truth to convince you?

• No offense Catty, as persistent as the hard-core McGOPers may be, you are just the lint that clings to the fringe that surrounds the base of the MS and national GOP. Caring deeply about something does not make it so in reality. These last set of primary elections in June where the Establishment candidates won every single statewide contest around the country should be the Tea Party Patriots’ and the McGOPers’ final wake-up call to the harsh reality that your strength is in smaller, local contests only, where money, organization, and strategies don’t matter so much. Remember, the Constitution is not a perfect document. It came about as a result of a lot of compromising among the convention delegates during that hot summer off 1787. No one, particularly Madison, got everything that he wanted to be in the Constitution. Rather, they designed a form of government that requires compromise by everyone in order for the country to move forward. It’s not very pretty, but it’s better than being ruled by a Great Lord Protector. Besides, you assume that 187,000 people would still support Chrissy Mc. I keep hearing where many have broken ranks as a result of his continued attitude towards the Party and the election in general.
      Pappy

7. Then Senator Thad Cochran was a full-throated apologist for Ronald Reagan’s eerily Obama-like illegalities in the Iran-Contra scandal — including the destruction of documents sought by Congressional investigators. Sound familiar?

Ronald Reagan eventually apolgized to the nation and took full responsibility for the matter including those actions taken by his staff that were directly unknown to him. Has anyone seen such an admission and apology from Thad Cochran to Republicans in Mississippi for the actions of those associated with his campaign and PAC for their 2014 run-off actions?

Repeatedly flogging McDaniel and his supporters for failing to strictly adhere to a Ronald Reagan litmus test that Cochran can’t come remotely close to passing — especially on policy matters — after 42 years inside the Beltway isn’t a path to party unity nor victory.

8. William Smith says:

For the Iraelites in Egypt there came a Pharoah that “knew not Joseph.” For Republicans there has risen up a generation that knew not Reagan. Bad news in both cases. Reagan could not pass the “Reagan test” that the “true” conservatives would impose.

9. I have an idea and i am sure it has been suggested before. Why don’t you “true conservatives” or McGOPers start your own party? You readily admit the “Republican party left us”. Start your own party and get the (R) away from your name. You can have (Mc) behind your name. See how you can do in an election on your own “true conservative” platform. Please do it and leave the us “faux Republicans” alone.

• When the departure of conservatives from the ranks of the MS Democratic party began to pick up steam the party leadership at the time (not Rickey Cole) adopted the same stance and relayed the same ‘go away’ sentiment as you do now.

How did that work out for them?

• Look, if it works out that way, then fine. Why don’t you try it and then you will absolutely know for sure whether or not you are correct. I think that answer is going to be crystal clear when we wake up on November 5th, though.

• We might just do that, come November.

• Hey Michael:
        When the “Disgruntled Conservatives” (DCs) abandoned George H.W. Bush and supported Ross Perot in 1992, that gave us 8 years of “Billary”. That led to the disaster that was the W/Cheney reign. And that led to Obamanation. So you see, what your parents and grandparents did back in 1992 by supporting Perot in 1992 is still biting the country and conservatives in the ass today. Political myopia has long-term consequences. Therefore, instead of waging a fight that you can never win, with a narcissistic, shameless, self-promoting, evangelical tent preacher like The Anointed One, why not pursue your vision in future elections through the eyes of leaders who uphold most of our conservative values but who is also are “unifiers” among his/her peers. Believe it or not, there are guys out there who are ideal candidates who would be acceptable by the Establishment and by the DCs. They have been maintaining a low profile keeping their heads down most of the time because they do not want to get hit in the cross-fire. These are the people that we should all be looking at to rally around in the future.
        BTW: Catty has suggested that William and I are Cochran-Barbour plants. I can’t speak for William, but there have been times that I have voted against Thad and Haley over the years. I am not part of their inner circle. Michael W. knows me and can vouch for the fact that they would not want me anywhere around one of their campaign sites. I am probably less of an Establishment Republican than The Anointed One Himself. I just want the most qualified, and emotionally adept electable conservative to get the job–that’s good for Mississippi and good for America.

10. William Smith says:

Here’s the thing about this. The “traditional” Republicans (known by McD supporters as RINOS, establisment, machine, Barbour mafia, etc) don’t want to put anyone out of the party – debate, competition, but no cleansings. On the other hand McD and his most aggrieved supporters want cut down to cleanse,cut to the root or whatever. So far as I am concerned McD supporters are welcome and welcome to compete. But McD supporters want to take over and run out the tradtional MS Republicans. They want to tear down so they can rebuild. Trouble is that if they succeed in tearing down, there will be little to build on or with. Increasingly they seem bent on destruction and no amount of reasoning can stop them. You can work within for change you want (Reagan) or you can try to destroy (Perot).

11. William Smith says:

I once saw Haley Barbour in person coming down from a Jackson church balcony a Sunday before Christmas. Once he handed me a MS National Guard pin when he spoke at some kind of rally in Lousville. I attended debate in Winston Co that involved Greg Harper and other R candidates, and Harper was not my first choice of style and color, though I like him now. I once had an invocation at at campaign event for Roger Wicker (and I think Greg Harper) in Winston County. I also once say Roger Wicker in church. I heard Tate Reeves speak at Rotary when he was Tresasurer. I once heard George Dale speak also at Rotary. Oh, and I once shook Sonny Montgomery’s hand at a Rotary meeting in Louisville. And I once found myself in seat in the cattle car section of an airplane with Gov. Winter. And I once got on an jet in Hattiesburg which took off and promptly landed in Meridian to pick up Sen. Stennis who was returning to Washington. I also once heard Reagan speak at Arlington on Veteran’s Day when we lived near DC. Nancy smiled with adoration throughout. I think that’s the extent of my involvement with politicians. Unless the pin bought me, I don’t think I have sold out to Barbour. And, not one of these people I have met would remember ever having met me.

• And, not one of these people I have met would remember ever having met me.

No surprise Smith since your Appeal to Authority is a fallacious argument from the outset.

But that is all you’ve got. Bogus arguments.

12. Hey Saltwaterpappy: Sorry I am unable to turn a blind eye to what established Repubs did in the prior election. Everyone knows what they did and who did it. if I did turn a blind eye my parents and grand parents that you speak of would disown me when I get to the Pearly Gates. Besides, I have to sleep at night and by turning a blind eye that would be the same as condoning their actions and I hope I’m better than that. Then I would have to face my children and grandchildren and tell them that I condone such actions by this group of money and power hungry career politicians. I hope I’m better than that. Then I would again have to tell my children and grandchildren that they are 18 Trillion dollars in debt thanks to this group and that I condone it and I hope I’m better than that. Then I have to face the man in the mirror and I know he doesn’t condone the actions that the establishment did to keep some old power hungry politicians and their family’s and cronies in money and power and I hope I’m better then that. So the bottom line is that moving forward I have a very hard time turning power over to people who will sacrifice the people that are supposed to be their friends, neighbors, colleagues, supporters, and fellow party members just to keep power. So I say no to dirty tricks, scandals, vote buying, race baiting, and every other shenanigans that they pulled in this election. As far as having new good conservative candidates in future elections, I’m open to that, unfortunately the old cronies that are in place now don’t fit that bill. And as far as not being able to win the fight, if everyone believed that then we would still be under British Rule.

• Hey Michael:
      Now I understand. You are not a politician in the traditional sense. Rather, you have the heart of a revolutionary. And that’s okay. The Tree of Liberty needs to be sprinkled with the blood (political) of Patriots from time-to-time. That’s great when you prevail. But as a leader in the revolution, when you lose, you must be prepared to suffer the political consequences. You are now radioactive within the State GOP. You can no longer serve effectively in public office. As a committed revolutionary, you should now carry the fight away from the private domain. Brandon Jones has done a credible job in
      doing this when he lost and became Executive Director of the Democratic Trust.
      Pappy

• Hey Pappy, just so you know and don’t get confused,I am not the MichaelW that you may be thinking about. The politician MichaelW, I’m not (that guy from Pascagoula). I’m the average everyday Mississippi working guy who believes in more traditional values, such as traditional marriage, Jesus loving, small government, right to bear arms, Balanced Budget (live within your means), support the ones who can’t support themselves (not the ones that can), term limits, support your family, secure our borders, strengthen our defense, get rid of career politicians, lockup the criminals, love your state and country kind of of guy. If this makes me non progressive then so be it. But I sleep well by following my heart and using my head and always trying to be right and just in my actions.

• You are now radioactive within the State GOP. You can no longer serve effectively in public office.

Despite your sweeping rhetoric the voters in the appropriate jurisdiction will determine at established intervals whether or not they wish to retain the services of any public servant.

13. At the onset if the campaign season, I decided to support Chris, and go with the republican nominee in the fall. Never saw myself getting this caught up, thought we would win either way. As I have looked back at Cochran’s accomplishments over the years, I believe anyone could have done as much. We talk about these guys like they are in office for us, wake the hell up! Someone please tell me what extraordinary things Thad has accomplished? Still haven’t decided if we can support the Barbour/Cochran machine or not… The McDaniel supporters like myself that are still out here may be a force to be seen after all. Did not want to be forced to vote D, but speaking for myself, will just have to wait and see.

• .
      I agree with you in part Joe D … about conservatives being “forced to vote D” in this upcoming general election.

I say ‘in part’ because the only real alternative you, me and all true conservatives have at this stage, is to either vote for the more honest ‘wolf’ (i.e., Dem. Travis Childers) … or for the ‘wolf in sheep’s clothing’ (i.e., Rep. Thad Cochran).

I don’t know what others may do with a ‘choice’ as obscene as that; but I do know that I consider the ‘wolf in sheep’s clothing’ to be way more menacing than the more honest ‘wolf’.

And so (speaking for myself), it is for this reason that I will pull the Dem. lever next to the more honest ‘wolf’ … rather than invite the Rino ‘wolf in sheep’s clothing’ … to enter as ‘protector’ of the flock (knowing the confusion … and inevitable carnage that will surely follow once the seditious Rino wolf is on the inside)!

14. William Smith says:

An excerpt from my Blog today:

Hall of Fame running back, John Riggins, created a minor Washington, D.C., scandal in 1985 when, seated at the same table with Justice Sandra Day O’Connor at a black tie dinner, he said to her, ”Come on, Sandy baby, loosen up. You’re too tight.” He then went under the table and fell asleep. Apparently Justice O’Connor has a sense of humor, because several years later, when Riggins was appearing in a play, Justice O’Connor attended, went on stage after the performance, and gave him a bunch of roses.

Lately it occurs to me that we all might benefit from Riggins’ counsel and Ms. O’Connor’s sense of humor. Perhaps we become too earnest and take ourselves much too seriously.

I think about the political warfare going on in Mississippi where I spent a collective 25 years. With the general election now about six weeks away the conflict is not between the Democratic and Republican candidates for the U.S. Senate, but within the Republican Party. The aggrieved loser of the June 24 party runoff has sued the winner, and the case is now before the Mississippi Supreme Court. If you go to the two Facebook pages maintained by the one who lost, you see earnestness in the extreme on the part of both the candidate and his supporters. They truly believe that God is on their side and that the real contest is between cosmic good and evil. So great is their outrage that at least some of them plan to vote for the opposing party in order deny the winner of their primary re-election and to teach the corrupt party leaders a lesson. They hope that they can then cut down the wicked tree at its roots and plant in its place a new pure Republican tree. The candidate takes himself entirely too seriously, and his followers are full of zeal without adequate knowledge of political and historical realities. They can’t laugh at themselves.

15. If 187,000 Republicans voted for McDaniel why in hell should WE leave OUR party? You Liberals in disguise get the hell out of our party. Go join up with the Democrats you closely resemble.

• frank gordon says:

Actually, the Liberals would love it if everybody left the Republicans except for 187,000. Then they could take control of everything.

• William Smith says:

Catty, here is what I don’t understand. Why should people who are beyond question conservatives whether you look att their views in the light of history or whether you look at where their views fall on the current political spectrum leave the Party? How can those people be “Liberals in disguise”? Why do you get to define what conservatism is? I surely don’t want you out, though I don’t want you to to go on a search and destroy mission. Disucss, debate, compete – yes. Wreck and ruin – no.

• Bernadice says:

Your posts are excellent, William. I have spent a little time on McD’s FB page and have learned that am I not only NOT a true conservative but I am also not a “real” Mississippian. I find that odd since I was born here, lived here all my life and am a descendent of the Mississippi Chickasaws.

• Hey Catty:
      No one is going anywhere. We are all MS Republicans with most of the same goals. If we are Conservatives we should all share a Reagan-like desire for greater liberty through smaller government and increased application of the Bill of Rights in our daily lives, along with equal protection under law to all Americans. Doesn’t everyone agree?
      Pappy

16. I agree with William Smith above on urging at least some degree of unity among conservatives and in the Republican Party. The alternative, as he suggested, is “wreck and ruin.” In the interest of full disclosure, I voted for Thad Cochran, but I agree with most of the principles outlined in this “Great Mississippi Divide” blog post. I had several reasons for voting for Cochran that I still think were valid, but on political philosophy, I am largely on your side. Indeed, I’ve fought actively for conservative causes and candidates for fourteen years, having volunteered for various campaigns in various places (I didn’t volunteer for Thad Cochran this time around). That’s why I get so frustrated that people like me are labeled “RINOS” and “Cochran Republicans” and are deemed to be traitors and liberal Democrats. And I don’t know why those same labels aren’t applied to people like Rand Paul, who has backed establishment Republicans such as Mitch McConnell that I would be vilified for supporting (I’d be comfortable voting for both Paul and McConnell incidentally). Or why the term RINO and traitor is not applied to those both in Kansas and Mississippi who are threatening to deliberately put Harry Reid back in power just to get back at the Republican establishment. I voted for Cochran yes, but I’m not planning to give the Democrats a majority in the Senate. Many in the Tea Party are now openly promising to do exactly that. I don’t say all of this to be insulting or to urge you to vote for Thad Cochran (I fully understand abstaining due to his nasty campaign tactics), but instead, I say this to plead with you not to push Republicans like me away. Please fight alongside us; many of us who voted for Cochran are conservative too. We picked a different strategy this time, but we want to be united with you. And, contrary to popular belief, we are not robot supporters of the establishment.

• The McGOPers have no winning strategy. By their words and actions they are anarchists who spout conservative rhetoric. Logic does not prevail upon them. They believe in The Messiah and His Cause as a Holy Matter which transcend everything else. They dream of a new political Jerusalem where the Anointed One reigns forever fomenting chaos and dissention in all of his endeavors.
      Pappy

17. In my comment above, when I referred to “you” and “your,” I was referring to the host of this blog, the Tea Party and the backers of Chris McDaniel. I don’t think I made that clear. Those conservatives who voted for Cochran and those conservatives who voted for McDaniel can still unite for conservative causes, and I urge us all to do so.

18. Can’t convince you in the Establishment corner that you are 1. being duped because you will be voting for Thad’s unknown placement, a freshman(i.e. Cochran will NOT be chair of anything after that awful campaign of his)
    2. You fail to see the horror, absolute horror of what Barbour and his boys did to all of us in this state in bringing ridicule upon us all with that race-baiting, unlawful campaign: 3. You fail to recognize the illegal and unlawful activities that DID OCCUR for which you claim there is no evidence….but there is. 4. You can not or will not recognize that the McDaniel supporters ARE the 187,000 voters who outnumber the rest of you.

19. William Smith says:

Catty,

There is no “duping.” Thad, if elected, will be elected Chmn of Appropriations by the caucus. I have asked you if you know something about what the caucus will do that we don’t know. You have said nothing. If you know something, say so. If you don’t, then saying it repeated is not going to make it true. If Thad decides not to finish his term for some unforeseen reason, then I would prefer anyone Phil Bryant wouldl choose, over any Democrat. Greg Harper, for instance, would be a good choice.

I don’t see the horror because there isn’t any to see. Barbour is a wily pol and he knows how to play hardball. He also knows how to win. He did not do anything to you and he did not bring any ridicule on the state. The ridicule the state is getting is over the embarrassing dragging of this election our by the politician who lost. Is race a factor in political campaigns in MS, Always. And, if think there was no racial component in the McDaniel appeal to voters and to his campaign, you don’t know MS politics. That the Cochran campaign said to black voters, “You’re better off with Cochran on in DC, than McDaniiel” is just a fact.

You say here is evidence of “illegal and unlawful” activities that DID OCCUR.” OK, take the evidence to the lawful authorities. When indictments come down, I will consider recongnizing what you say is the case. When conviction are obtained, then I will believe. Assertions are not facts, allegations are not proof. Are there still 187,000 McDaniel supporters? I don’t think so. Do the McDaniel voters remaining outnumber the rest? I doubt that, too. Subsequent elections will tell. If you succeed in replacing the Governor. Lt. Gov, the Party Chmn, the Executive Com, if you control the MS House and Senate caucuses, if you defeat Greg Harper, Roger Wicker, Steve Palazzo, and Alan Nunnlee, and then you prove you are the majority. Not till then.

• Catty, William is correct about race and how The Anointed One injected it into His campaign. Every time he made a reference to “Traditional Mississippi Values” or made an appearance where the Stars and Bars were being displayed in a prominent manner, he was sending a message to every redneck, peckerwood, Dixiecrat holdover that “I’m your kind of guy. I’ll stand with you against the coloreds and the mongrel invasion!” It doesn’t get much simpler than that. Words and symbols have meaning. The Dixiecrat remnant in Mississippi got it, and came out and voted for Chris. Concerned concervatives were awakened and voted for Thad–even some in the black community.
      Pappy

20. William Smith says:

CBS News/NYT/YouGov 9/20 – 10/1 826 LV 4.0 46 35 Cochran +11

Trackbacks

1. […] But it’s the use of the term “true conservatives,” and its juxtaposition with the Constitution, that has the establishment hacked off in a big way, which is why I will continue to use it regularly. For more on the distinction, see my MCD article The Great Mississippi Divide. […]