To put their candidate over the top, the Wicker campaign has been touting Ole Roger’s support of President Donald Trump. Wicker votes with Trump more than 96 percent of the time, they boast, and he now has the President’s endorsement. But the odds that Trump will actually travel to Mississippi to campaign in person are slim at best.
The trouble, though, is with Congress more than anything else. Congress has an abysmal approval rating. The latest poll puts public support at just 16 percent, far lower than President Trump. Mitch McConnell, the Senate’s Republican Leader, is even worse. He’s been rated the country’s most unpopular Senator with a disapproval rate of 55 percent.
Roger Wicker is a member of Mitch McConnell’s leadership team and will stay close to the Majority Leader, who will likely throw millions into the race from some obscure Super PAC, just as he did in Alabama last year. So Wicker won’t dare oppose him on any issue, not on taxes, spending, DACA, trade, or the border wall.
Chris McDaniel has stated publicly that the first vote he will cast as a new US Senator will be against McConnell for Majority Leader. Mitch must go, he says, in order for a conservative agenda to move forward.
Why is this so important? Just consider what the Republican Establishment has been up to just this year:
- The re-authorization of FISA without any safeguards for the Fourth Amendment rights of American citizens (Wicker voted for it).
- A $4.4 trillion spending bill that returns us to trillion-dollar deficits (Wicker voted for it).
- The consideration of a proposal to legalize DACA recipients, while not appropriating a dime for the border wall.
- A proposal for a 25-cent-per-gallon hike in gasoline taxes to pay for a $1.5 trillion infrastructure bill.
- A possible gun-control proposal that includes new age requirements and a ban on bump stocks, and gosh knows what else.
That is not a conservative agenda. And the only way we are going to get a conservative agenda is by replacing Establishment RINOs in Congress, like Roger Wicker, then overthrow McConnell as Majority Leader, along with the rest of the Senate leadership, and implement one from the pens of Mike Lee, Rand Paul, and Chris McDaniel.
So this campaign is about the US Senate, Roger Wicker and his horrible voting record, Mitch McConnell’s leadership, and the RINO crowd that is no more interested in conservatism than Chuck Schumer! The race is not about Donald Trump, no matter how much the Wicker camp wants it to be.